Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Cincinnati Classic

Since 1969, Cincinnatians have been flocking to the suburbs and Blue Ash Chili. The little family owned chili parlour has been cranking out Cinci favourites like double deckers, goetta and of course their take on the local chili. The menu has been rounded out with breakfast fare, burgers, soups and offerings from the fryolated arts. It was here in the Summer of 2006 that I was introduced to the unique flavour of Cincinnati Chili and I took to it quite well. I pick up cans of Skyline chili in the grocery store when in the area and make it from scratch at home as often as regular chili.
101_0462The place has grown but still keeps it’s small feel with the open kitchen and marshaling area splitting the two dining rooms. A veritable “Who’s who” of the rich and famous adorns the walls along with the many articles lauding them. The staff is friendly and ample so even though they were busy the wait times were minimal.
101_0460Perhaps the most famous of the chili parlours Blue Ash has all the major media outlets in town paying visits. They’re known nationally from NPR and made Maxim's list of the Top 77 Places to Eat Before You Die! Perhaps the biggest honours though came in 2010 with a visit from Guy Fieri and the Triple D gang. They also were selected as the Official Chili of the “WEBN Fireworks + Cincinnati Riverfest 2010!”
101_0465
So lets get on with the food.

I ordered a 6 way. Cincinnati’s only, it’s the 3 way with beans, diced onion and fried jalapeno caps (deep fried jalapeno slices). Coneys and a chocolate malted. Mrs. Sippi had a bowl of mac n cheese, a Coney and a 3 way.

I found the 6 way to have too much stuff going on. First of all, the caps simply didn’t fit in, in my opinion. They did taste great so I just ate them on the side. The beans and onions competed with the chili, cheese and spaghetti rather than compliment. All in all it was okay but I wouldn’t order again.
101_0470I preferred Mrs. Sippi’s 3 way.
101_0474This is quite possibly the best coney I've had. I've been to the chain parlours and even BA's main competition and I think these are the best. Absolutely excellent.
101_0471Mrs. Sippi’s mac and cheese was a very pleasant surprise. Not the best “Old school” M&C I’ve had but a really solid bowl none the less. Things don’t always have to be great. They just have to be good and on that, this dish delivered.
101_0468Another nice surprise was the chocolate malted. Made with premium Algamesis Brother’s ice cream it had a great, full creamy chocolate taste. My only complain was it was a bit thick and hard to suck through a straw. It melted fairly quickly and was easier to manage.
101_0466
The Coney Bowl is great. Basically a 3 Way with Pups instead of spaghetti. I liked that the dogs were cut up like they'd be in wieners and beans. I will have to remember to add onions and mustard next time though.

The GLT sandwich is fabulous. Taking advantage of 2 Cinci traditions (Goetta and Double Decker Sandwiches) for one item. Their Goetta is very tasty but slightly more oaty than other I've had. Not a complaint or compliment, just an observation. They also didn't seem to get as good a crust as I've had but that's okay. One thing I'm starting to notice about Cinci. They love them some mayonnaise. Sandwiches seem to come anywhere from loaded all the way up to bathed in the stuff. No complaints for the most part. I love mayo.

Chili PhillyThe Chili Philly is a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich topped with a good sized ladle of chili. It’s a really good sandwich however I should’ve known better and asked that the green bell pepper be excused. Anyway, the Philly itself is good, not great. The addition of the chili is a great twist on it. While not a favourite at BAC it’s certainly worth ordering again. Sans bell pepper of course.


So all in all, a fantastic visit and further fueling of my Cinci chili love.

You can find Blue Ash Chili at 9565 Kenwood Road in Blue Ash, Ohio.


View Larger Map

They also have a second store in Mason, Ohio.

You can find them on the web or Like them on Facebook as well.
 Blue Ash Chili on Urbanspoon

Well that’s all for now food fans. See ya real soon in the food court.
Davwud








No comments:

Post a Comment